As a business owner you are always looking for ways of saving money and make your business profitable. When it comes to creating an online presence for your business, just like your marketing materials and office’s appearance, your website needs to project a professional image.
The more professional looking your business appears, the more creditable it looks. Many business owners don’t really understand the difference between having a custom web design done and using website templates. In this article we’ll look at both ways of having your website built and the costs involved.
Custom Web Design
A custom site is developed from scratch, the information architecture or navigational structure, graphics, functions, and administrative back-end are all designed based on your unique specifications.
Many think having a custom web design is too expensive but let’s look at the advantages of hiring a web designer over using a free website template or purchasing one.
Benefits of custom web design:
- Unique design: With a custom web design it is created just for your business. Your website will be different from anyone else’.
- SEO friendly:By hiring the right web designer, it shall be made search engine friendly. How the background coding of your website is done will influence your success in the search engines.
- Scalability: Just like adaptability, if you have planned what you want in the future for your website, a good web designer will take this into consideration as they select the right technologies to use while building the website.
A website template is a pre-made design. The template design forms the framework of the site. Without a template, a website would appear as line after line of text with no rules, graphic elements, or color. The template allows for the placement of text, page layout, and graphic elements in an eye-pleasing manner.
The framework of a site, includes the following design features:
- Very low budgets where you need to get up and running as soon as possible. If budget is holding you back from getting your business up on the Internet, then maybe a website template might be the way to go.
- Shorter development time. It would appear that using a website template would include a shorter development time required for your website.
- You will be limited on the customization of the website template. Without web page coding skills, you are still going to have to either spend the time and money to learn how to code a web page or hire someone to help you.
- Position for header. Most templates do not have a header. A header is where you put the name of your business with the logo. A website header is placed on the top of a page, similar to the masthead of a newspaper.
While custom websites offer the most flexibility, template-driven sites are a good alternative for companies trying to establish a web-presence quickly and afford-ably. They may not offer the extensive capabilities or scalability of made-to-order solutions, but they can be an effective strategy for projects with a limited scope.
Having said that, if you value the impact of a strong online identity, your brand will surely benefit more from a site that is custom built for you, rather working to find a template to fit your brand
Hope our post helped you make up your decision. The only thing we would add now, is that regardless your choice, think about the website purpose first. And, surely, whatever option you prefer when designing a website, make a little research, to be sure you chose a competent and professional web design and development services provider, not to regret for your choice further.